Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Thoughts on diabolical machinations

Today I was thinking of the scripture that talks about setting a watchman upon the tower to watch over the vineyard. As I thought about this scripture the wisdom of Sun Tzu came into my head. The phrase "know your enemy" from the Art of War is pretty famous and has been repeated so much that it has almost become cliche now.

Then I started to think about how the watchman on the watchtower is expected to recognize both the master of the vineyard and any potential enemies. It seems logical to me then, that God expects us to recognize our spiritual enemy, and I think that sometimes we can be pretty naive about how sophisticated and cunning our enemy really is.

I think most people suppose that Satan is so busy whispering temptations in our ears that he has no time for planning any kind of specific strategy. But as I was thinking about this, I realized that he does have a well coordinated plan of attack, and most of us know EXACTLY what it is.

Not to dwell too much on the adversary, but I think that when he says he's going to take the treasures of the earth and then buy up armed forces, tyrants and false priests that maybe he's doing just that. He meant every word when he proclaimed he would REIGN with blood and horror. I don't think that we really take to heart the fact that SATAN WANTS TO REIGN, not just tempt us to fight and fornicate.

If the entire war in heaven was about CONTROL vs. FREE AGENCY, why are so many unable to see that he wants to sieze power?

The question is WHY? Why does he need it? As I see it, Satan wants to rule so he can destroy NOT ONLY OUR ETERNAL SALVATION, but also every aspect of the earthly experience that he has been denied - to LITERALLY reign with "blood and horror."

Some things that he would need earthy power to eliminate or harm:

1. Our free agency, through any type of tyrannical, authoritarian government.
2. Our bodies through disease, neglect, malnutrition, drugs and inflicted injury.
3. Our families through sexual sins and selfishness.
4. The beauty of our planet through pollution, greediness and misuse.
5. Our relationship with God through sin and distraction.

As I look at this list I can see some of Satan's long-term planning has come to fruition. There are certain bodies of power that influence each item on the list over which Lucifer has full or partial control. Can you think of what they might be?

Luckily, we know that our Father and our Savior will ultimately triumph, but until then we really should be watchful and careful not to put our "trust in the arm of flesh" or in "philosophies of men mingled with scripture."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excellent point. I agree