Thursday, October 4, 2007

Doctrine & Covenants Section 98

I would love anyone's comments on section 98 of the D&C. I was reading it yesterday and was actually surprised by verses 23 & 24 which deal with the first offense against one's family.

The context of the section is also important because it was given while the saints were under intense persecution (see the chapter heading). It's the Lord's response to that persecution.

Notice when our actions in response to persecution are justified vs. when they are rewarded - both as individuals and as nations.

Any thoughts - especially on vs 24?

1 comment:

diogenes said...

I just completed a paper regarding Section 98 which I will be presenting in part during Sunstone. The title of the presentation is "Rejecting the Stone"--Section 98 is in my opinion the standing law and covenant of the church as it pertains to conflict both personal and national. You can e-mail me if you would like a copy of the paper which will be one of several chapters in a book that my son and I are completing as to "war" doctrine. THe book's thesis is that Christ is the prisms from which all war doctrine must be judged and that essentially we have been given a model or invitation that like zion we have not chosen to abide by but are nonetheless invited to live. That model is the highest law, the law of Christ which is relatively close to a pacifist (pacific--peacemakers as defined in Sermon on the MOunt) doctrine. My e-mail is madsonron@aol.com.