Saturday, September 29, 2007

Brigham Young - Journal of Discourses

This quote came from a discourse regarding the frequent attacks by various Indian tribes on the saints in Utah:

"Do you suppose you will ever see the time you would . . . live at peace with each other, and have the Spirit of the Lord enough to look each other in the face, and say, with a heart full of kindness, 'Good morning Mary,' or 'How do you do Maria?' You will be whipped until you have the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ sufficiently to love your brethren and sisters freely, men, women and children; until you can live at peace with yourselves, and with every family around you; until you can treat every child as though it were the tender offspring of your own body, every man as your brother, and every woman as your sister; and until the young persons treat the old with that respect due to parents, and all learn to shake hands, with a warm heart, and a friendly grip, and say, 'God bless you,' from morning till evening; until each person can say, 'I love you all, I have no evil in my heart to any individual, I can send my children to school with yours, and can correct your children when they do wrong, as though they were my own, and I am willing you should correct mine, and let us live together until we are a holy and sanctified society.'

There will always be Indians or somebody else to chastise you, until you come to that spot; so amen to the present Indian trouble, for it is all right. I am just as willing the rebellious of this people should be kicked, and cuffed, and mobbed, and hunted by the Indians, as not, for I have preached to them until I am tired."

3 comments:

Jeff said...

So, is this saying that there is an ideal that we should all strive for, but in our present condition or state that is not always possible? And we should or can sometimes take other coursed of action?

Shane said...

I think it's stating what the Book of Mormon says over and over again, i.e. that we will always have someone "stirring" us up to rememberance of our duty as Christians - and that duty is to love each other. It's always been the purpose of the gospel.

Jeff said...

Got it, I thought the "them" at the end was the indians, but it is the mormons.